After seven years of assault by the salt air, waves, and wind, it’s time for Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse to get a new paint job. More and more rust can be seen on the tower, and the most recent coats of paint are deteriorating. The 1878 cast-iron lighthouse tower was last painted in June 2010.
The painting project will be carried out by the J.B. Leslie Company of South Berwick, Maine, a contractor that has successfully completed a variety of preservation projects for the chapters of the American Lighthouse Foundation. The cost will be $28,500, covering the following:
- Setting up and taking down of all staging, with an environmental barrier at the base and netting around the tower.
- Hand scrubbing of all surfaces.
- Scraping of all areas, followed by the application of one coat of solvent-based primer and two full coats of solvent-based finish grade paint.
- Painting will include the roof of the lantern, as well as the deck, underside of deck, and rails, and the entire exterior of the tower.
- The bird netting on the underside of the deck will be removed to do the work and then reinstalled.
We plan to have this work accomplished by the fall of 2017, so we have set a fundraising goal of $28,500 by September 1, 2017.
Please consider a donation. With your help we will keep the lighthouse gleaming!
Under the leadership of Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, more than 5,000 people tour the lighthouse each year during open houses and other special events.
It’s central to our mission of preservation to keep the lighthouse in top physical condition, so that it will continue to inspire local residents and visitors to the scenic New Hampshire Seacoast region.
When you click the PayPal button below, you will be able to fill in the donation amount. You don’t need to have a PayPal account; you can simply use a credit or debit card.
The American Lighthouse Foundation is a 501 (c)3 nonprofit organization and all donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
If you prefer to send a check, please make it payable to FPHL and send to FPHL, PO Box 8232, Portsmouth, NH 03802-8232. Please indicate that your donation is for the painting fund.
We suggest the following levels, but you can fill in any amount you’d like. Every dollar helps us reach our goal.
- $10 Lighthouse Supporter
- $25 Lighthouse Paint Pal
- $50 Assistant Keeper
- $100 Lighthouse Keeper
- $250 Elson and Connie Small memorial donor
- $500 Keeper Henry Cuskley memorial donor
- $1000 Keeper Joshua Card memorial donor